grace in ACTION, usa

Wholistic churches impacting their communities through economic development.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Downsizing

A recent 24/7 news channel (looking for new news...a good subject for another day) was doing a feature on the size home you should own during each decade of life. Would you believe they recommended downsizing when you're in your 50's!! Gasp!! I know some people in their 8o's who aren't ready to even think about it! The motives they gave, though completely financial, were really good. So! Are you ready to get rid of some "stuff?"

I suppose my aversion to accumulating things comes from the fact that my mother's generation saved everything! For her it was every bit of string, old newspapers, years of out dated phone books, furniture from people who had died; some whom she didn't even know!!. There was stuff in every nook and cranny of her twelve room house, not to mention several square thousand feet of barn/garage.

There are other reasons that I discard things.....I'm not sentimental about the past; I love new days, new challenges, and looking ahead. That's just who I am. But Jesse and I became intentional about downsizing a few years ago, and we love it. When Jesse had his last triple bi-pass surgery with a difficult recovery, we decided it was time to unload. There were also stewardship reasons for taking this next step. Having and using less for ourselves means we have more time and money for ministry, and that is important to us. It's also a gift to our children. They won't have to throw away nearly much as my sister and I did. ;-)

Is that verse which says to be content when you have enough to eat and clothes to wear still in your Bible? Or does your version say be content when you have a big house, two cars, a boat, membership in the . . . ?

Lately I've noticed how many people older than we who are still hanging on to their possessions. It's obvious when you hear them talk about how hard it is to take care of a big house, the yard, roof leaks, buying more equipment, and hiring help that they're not really enjoying it all that much any more. And it's costing a good bit, too. If they only knew how much freedom and contentment they'd get from having less, they'd start tomorrow!

It really hit me last week when grace in ACTION usa sent a 16' truck full of discards to Jackson, KY. We have so much we give away our garage sale left-overs. Something's wrong with that picture, my friend.

Are you discontented? Do you wish you had more time and money? Maybe you should consider downsizing. Try it! You'll like it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home