grace in ACTION, usa

Wholistic churches impacting their communities through economic development.

Friday, May 05, 2006

A Look in the Mirror

A few years ago, the teens from our church came home from their national youth convention with a new song which they promptly taught the rest of us. The first line of the chorus is, "I'm coming back to the heart of worship and it's all about you, Lord; it's all about you."

In his tiny book on music, Ron Bible writes: "Worship is a reflection of God." I heartily agree ~ that is what it's supposed to be. But I've discovered that most of us have the mirror backwards . When we look in the worship mirror, all we see is ourselves, and not God. No wonder there's so much division about what we call worship. . . we have the backside of the mirror pointed at the God of the universe whose first commandment is "Do not worship any other gods but me." (NLT)

We are holding the mirror up to ourselves and singing, "It's all about me, Lord; it's all about me."

He alone is worthy of our attention, praise, and adoration. He alone can satisfy the deep longings we have. He alone can heal the wounded hearts, shattered dreams, and broken lives. He alone can free us from sin and its deceptions which keep us from true worship.

At the risk of sounding self-righteous, may I ask you a couple of questions? Are you the center of your universe? Does your life revolve around nothing but I, me, my, and mine? Stop and listen to yourself sometime and reflect on how many times you use those personal pronouns as you go through the day. Perhaps that reflection reveals how we're holding the worship mirror.

"I'm coming back to the heart of worship, and it's all about you, Lord; it's all about you."

What do you see when you look in the mirror?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home