grace in ACTION, usa

Wholistic churches impacting their communities through economic development.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Swingin!

Are you a swinger?

No ~ not the kind who really loves to dance. I'm referring to someone who hangs on to the pendulum. You know! The pendulum of thought that moves from one extreme to another and can't ever seem to come to a balanced position. That kind of swinger!

Thought pendulums occur in every area. They move slowly from one extreme to the opposite. Sometimes it takes years for more and more people to move to another side of an issue. Can't you see it? This gigantic idea with people dangling from it.....years and years of them..... holding on to one another's ankles or shirttails, trying desperately to get a glimpse of the person at the top who started the whole thing in the first place.

Don't you wonder if someone like that ever thinks for him/herself? I do.

Let's think about Worship Pendulums for a minute. "You can't worship unless you ________." (you fill in the blank). I recall years ago hearing about a well-meaning American church that sent an organ to a church in South America somewhere. The receipients wrote back, "Thank you so much for your gift of the organ. But you realize you can't worship without guitars." How shocking!!

I'm not going to go there ~ except to say I'd like to see more scripture read in our public worship times.

Think for a minute about what happens to a clock (or anything else that's pendulum driven) when the weights are off balance. Or when it stops altogether. Time stands still! That would make some folks very happy. "Let's just do it my way and never change." Now there's a formula for growth.

Since one of my passions is learning and another is changing (learning inevitably leads to change), I can't imagine a life that's stagnant. And I pray for the kind of balance that brings stability in all my thoughts and actions.

OK ~ I admit it! I'm definitely a swinger. "Lord, please lead so I'll be in step with you."






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home