grace in ACTION, usa

Wholistic churches impacting their communities through economic development.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Are you going to trust me, or not?

I still remember that night distinctly, even though it's been thirty years. My husband was on an extended trip for the mission he worked for; our older son, Chris, had moved that day into his first "pad"; and Jonathan was so sick the doctor admitted him to the hospital.

As I closed the door on the empty house that night, I recall saying, "Well, it's just you and me, Lord." And he said, "That's right! Are you going to trust me with this?" What could I say? "I don't think so, Lord. I'll just handle this, thank you very much." I don't think so, Tim!!

That's the first time I remember him asking me that question. But it's certainly not the last. And what's so great about trust is the more you do it, the easier it becomes. And the less you stay out of whatever it is you're entrusting to your heavenly Father, the better. Trust is really an all or nothing arrangement. And like so many other spiritual lessons, it needs to be my first response, instead of a last resort. I'm not sure, but choosing to trust may be the single most important lesson of the Christian life.

Trust is a choice; and choices are one of two things you have control over. (The other is your response.) I choose to trust. Better yet, I choose to trust the Lord, in whom I can place complete confidence. To trust means to commit whatever it is ~ my decisions, my loved ones, my health, my money (or lack of it) to the one who knows what I need and will provide in ways I can't begin to imagine when I leave it up to him. When I say he'll provide, it's because I have already trusted him in these ways and experienced his provision. I can assure you, if you'll place your dependence in Him, you can "take it to the bank."

I have three highlighters in my Bible case; a yellow one (to mark verses about the glory of God); a blue one (which I use for trust verses); and a pink one for anything else I need to take note of. My Bible's replete with blue highlights because Scripture is full of verses that encourage ~ even command ~ us to trust!

When the Lord presented me with the challenge of helping in Jackson, Kentucky, it was definitely a way to trust him. So we move forward, trusting him each step of the way for direction, provision, and especially for the results.

What would you say if the Lord asked, "Well, are you going to trust me with this, or not?" Please choose to trust. You'll be glad you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home